Monday, September 26, 2011

On the art of copy.

I want to talk a little bit about copy. Writing copy, revising copy, editing copy, commenting on copy.

Because our primary means of communication in this world is with words, we all know how to put words together to form sentences to get our point across. We each do it in our own way, our own style, but we all do it. All the time.

Very few of us, however, know how to write. Sure, everyone can put words on the screen or on paper. Some even understand the basics of grammar, sentence structure and punctuation. But still, that's not writing. Especially copywriting. The ability to write good, tight copy is learned over time. It's practiced constantly. It's continually honed. And the people who do it -- let's call them copywriters -- are passionate about putting the right words together to form sentences that are exactly the way they have to be to grab someone's attention and compel them to read. It ain't easy. It takes time and thought and discipline.

That's why we hire copywriters.

So when a group of people who are not copywriters start rewriting copy, it's frustrating and disheartening for the copywriter. Because it's saying, whether intentionally or not, "Anyone can do what you do." But you can't. You might think you can. You may have even gotten lucky and come up with a passable headline before. But you can't do what a copywriter does, just like you can't do what an art director does. That's why you do what you do, and we do what we do.

We need to hold copy in the same regard as we do art direction and design. If the words the copywriter put together aren't communicating what they're supposed to, by all mean, express that. Point out what is or is not coming across. But please don't try to solve it. Let the copywriter take the comments and do what he/she does best.

Write copy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of an old ad story.
Copywriter shows the copy to the Client. Client pulls out a pen, starts changing words and beating up the work.

Noting the Copywriter's agitation, the Client makes a joke, "Sorry, I'm just a frustrated copywriter."

Copywriter replies, "No sir. I am a frustrated copywriter. You sir, are an asshole."

I've heard the story enough to be pretty sure it's an urban legend. But a good one.

The Artistic Mercenary™ said...

Amen! True statement and the sentiment is right on. While I do agree whole heartedly I feel garnering that respect and getting people (account peeps, clients, etc.) to actually butt out and let us do our jobs may be a Sisyphean task. But maybe (hopefully) I'm just cynical.

Granny Snark said...

I have never been good at what you're describing: copywriting, which is not at all the same as other types of writing.

And that hereby ends my confession of the day.

Don said...

Many corporations are trying to scale back and get people to do multiple things they are not great at, but are just good enough to not drag down the bottom line. Turning engineers into technical writers, for ex. Which I was terrible at, because it requires a very organized mind, does not tolerate creative laziness, and love of language is a clear handicap.

Kos said...

I was talking to another CD yesterday about this very thing, Mr. Mercenary, and I said we creatives deserve the vast majority of the blame. If my 5-year-old continually acts like a brat, that's not his fault, that's mine for years of letting him act like that. We've allowed other people to devalue our work. So the onus is on us, as creative directors and creative leaders, to change it. It takes a while to break someone of a bad habit, but it can be done. You just can't take the path of least resistance.

Anonymous said...

I Googled "frustrated copywriter" and found this blog. The devaluation of language and good copy is as evident as it is rampant. I've been reduced to taking some jobs far beneath my expertise and experience. As a consequence, I'm getting lowballed at every turn. When I finally jettison the lard, I sometimes peek back to see what happened next. For instance, I recently checked back at a software company's blog I formerly wrote. I was surprised to find that they have Ali G blogging for them: Respeck!

What I'm experiencing is that a lot of folks in charge of hiring copywriters now have never had to write copy, have never had to hire someone to write copy and their insulting ignorance is glaring. I bid on a job - let's say a white paper - and to make it easy, I tell them that the rate is anywhere from $75 - $100 per page. That's what it usually comes out to be for me. Recently, I've been turned away almost every time I've revealed my rate. These people do not understand that it sometimes takes two weeks to compose a clean, subtle and tightly argued white paper.

Frustrating is the kind way to put it...

Anonymous said...

Oh...and by the way, if you're wondering about just one example I speak of...

http://www.mxisoft.com/blog/bid/76787/I-got-me-Excel-wouldn-t-bother-with-Business-Intelligence

Ali G writes your blog.